El Grito de los Ancestros
The Cry of the Ancestors
October 31, 2021
12pm - 3pm: Ceremony and Procession, from Powderhorn Park to open lot, E. Lake St. and Chicago Ave. · 3pm - 7:30pm: Concert presented by Festival de las Calaveras · 8pm-10pm: Ancestors Concert and Cabaret presented by BareBones
It Takes...Almost a Village
BareBones' and Festival de Las Calaveras' Festival is a community-driven production. In addition to our dedicated artists and production team, we relied on dozens of volunteers to help create the show. We also acknowledge the unceded Indigenous lands on which our event takes place and give thanks to the Dakota people.
Procession and Festival
Watch Event Highlights
Videos by Paul Irmiter
Ceremony and Procession
presented by BareBones
- Asinganaak Singers, Maryanna Harstad
- Mexica Dancers, Vanelli Marie
- Black-led group, Christie Epiphany
- Beyond Blood group, Kallie Melvin and Eva Adderley
- Native-led group, Dalaney (Rain) Villebrun
- Latine-led group, Gustavo Boada
- Justice group, Khulia Pringle
- East African Blessing group, Ifrah Mansour
- Battletrain group, Gretchen Kieling Carlyle
- Stilt group, Angie Courchaine and Anne Sawyer
- Max the Skeleton Puppet, Mary Plaster
- Get to Know Your Roots group, Olli Johnson
- Drum and protest group, Unlawful Assembly
3 - 7:30pm Concert by Festival de las Calaveras
- Palabristas Spoken Word Collective
- Lady Midnight
- Caballo Cósmico
- Los Lobos Norteños
8 - 9pm Ancestors Concert by BareBones
Join in the Calling of the Ancestors and a traditional BareBones Calling of Names.
Music directed by Venus de Mars.
Performed by the 2021 BareBones Orchestra:
Laurel Chapman, Trever Hawley, Juliette Lelchuk, Lisa Mengler, Adrian Nofzinger, Ashley O'Neill, Max Pattsner, Susanna Mae Schlangen, Jonathan Townsend, Danimae Vossen, Mattie Wong.
9 - 10pm BareBones
- Music by Half Tramp (Taylor Arvizu)
- Dance by Mariadela Belle Alvarez
- Short play by Teighlor McGee
- Puppetry and theatre by Rebekah Crisanta
Thank You to Our Generous Sponsors and Community Partners!
This activity is made possible in part by the voters of Minnesota through a grant from the Metropolitan Regional Arts Council, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts and cultural heritage fund. Additional support this year has been provided by contributions from our greater BareBones community over the years.