Call for Co-Directors/Facilitators
BareBones Productions is seeking to hire two Co-Directors/Facilitators, applying separately or together, for the 2023 Halloween Extravaganza experience. Directors/facilitators bring experience and passion for puppetry and pageantry and an interest in honoring ancestors and making community space for grief. Directors, in collaboration with the Barebones Board of Directors, will facilitate a group of hired artists and community volunteers who work together through the months of August, September and October to create a public performance/ritual related to grief, death, ancestors, loss and remembering. Performances will be over four evenings between October 27-31 on the Midtown Greenway between 10th Avenue and 11th Avenue. The structure, location and budget for the Extravaganza have been designed by the Barebones Board of Directors. Co-directors & facilitators work within that structure to synthesize the visions, skills and interests of the hired staff and volunteers to create the Extravaganza.
Qualifications or Requirements
- One of the Co-Directors should have experience working or volunteering with BareBones Productions, including work on the Annual Halloween Extravaganza.
- Strong performance, puppetry and/or visual art skills.
- Experience creating large scale outdoor visual and performance art pieces.
- Experience managing artistic staff.
- Experience teaching, collaborating with, managing, and supporting a wide variety of community members, including folks of various ages, races, cultures, genders, family structures, abilities, spiritual beliefs, and who speak a variety of languages.
- Strong communication, organization, time management, and leadership skills.
- Access to the internet and the technologies necessary to complete job.
- Adaptability and flexibility.
- Willingness to learn, self-reflect, and grow in the areas of equity, inclusion, and anti-bias.
- Work with board, hired artists and volunteers/community to facilitate the creation of a 45-60 minute performance including puppetry, music, fire and stilting.
- Create a storyboard with staff and community during August/September 2023.
- Work with hiring committee to hire all artistic staff.
- Coordinate and manage artistic staff communication
- Facilitate 12 rehearsals in September and October 2023. This will include approximately 8 - 9 Sunday afternoons, and three evenings between October 23-26.
- Facilitate meetings with hired staff and volunteers/community.
- Attend some of the approximately 21 puppet building sessions.
- Manage staff related issues in coordination with the production team.
- Encourage community building through music, games and other activities at meetings, rehearsals and builds.
- Work with Production Manager and board to stay within budget.
- Attend regular production, artist, and board meetings.
- Work/attend four performances between October 27-31.
- Participate in four educational workshops provided to the community by BareBones.
- Prioritize physical and emotional safety of every participant including precautions related to COVID-19.
- As this is a temporary, independent contractor position, candidates are required to have their own access to materials and technologies necessary for the job.
|Location||Twin Cities Metro, Minnesota|
|Type||Independent contractor, temporary|
|Category||Art and Art Admin|
|Apply By||May 1, 2023|
|Job Dates||TBD start date to November 15|
Please Note: this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change.
The Barebones Board/Hiring Committee wish that we could pay more. We recognize compensation is more like symbolic appreciation rather than a livable wage. This show would not be possible without the in-kind donations (love hours) of many people.